Member Spotlight – Universal Presentation Concepts
- Tell us a little about Universal Presentation Concepts and how the company got started.
UPC was founded in 1978 as a sign company working with local businesses. By the early 80’s, we changed our focus to retail store fixtures and point of purchase displays. We have never looked back. Our first big account was The Paper Company from Seattle, WA which immediately launched us into working with national and international customers.
- How long has UPC been involved in developing the LOUIES display?
UPC has been involved in LOUIE development for ten years.
- Can you tell us a little about how the display has evolved/changed throughout the years?
Each year, the theme of the LOUIEs changes. And that’s what makes it so much fun. You get a new team every year, which keeps it fresh and diverse.
- When you’re creating a display, what do you use or look to for inspiration?
There is collaboration between each year’s art director, their teams, and UPC. Together we all feed off the creativity to make something special everyone will enjoy. We’re always impressed and proud of the results. The reward of seeing the exhibit completed and in real life “brings tears to our eyes.”
- What is your favorite LOUIE Awards display?
With all the awesome LOUIE displays we have seen thus far, it’s really hard to pick just one. But we’d have to say the “circus theme” (the 24th annual), with actors, clowns, jesters, and unicycles.
- Can you tell us about some of the quirkier elements you’ve incorporated into the displays over the years?
Candies and gum drops, circus performers, graffiti and ping pong balls. It’s always fun to see people’s reactions to the themes.
- Do you have a favorite memory or story about the LOUIEs that you could share?
The times we spent with the art directors and their teams as well as our memories of working with our own design staff, art team, and manufacturing team to bring the exhibit to life. We have had the privilege of working with many talented people to create the LOUIEs theme. EVERY exhibit is our “favorite”, and all have great memories.
- Can you give us a hint of what you’re preparing for this year’s LOUIEs display?
It’s top secret! We can’t spill the beans just yet!
- What are you most looking forward to at this year’s LOUIE Awards?
Great participation, great cards, and great fun! The LOUIE Awards is an amazing event. Seeing the dedicated card companies being rewarded for their hard work is truly inspiring.