Eight Greeting Card Association Members Selected by Changing the Narrative to Create Age-Positive Birthday Cards
Changing the Narrative just announced another round of age-positive birthday cards coming in January 2023. In November, the leading US anti-ageism organization made a national call for greeting card designers and selected 10 designers, 8 of which are Greeting Card Association Members, from around the country to create age-positive birthday cards as part of Changing the Narrative’s ongoing campaign to end ageism.
The campaign started in 2020 with a call for artists to design cards that challenge the notion perpetuated in many birthday cards that we should feel bad about aging. The campaign has been very successful, with coverage in over 20 popular podcasts and media outlets, and led to requests for more cards.
The artists, selected in November from a recent national call for greeting card designers, are:
- Lauren-Ashley Barnes, GCA Member, Pineapple Sundays Design Studio
- Traci Bixby, GCA Member, Mossy Blue Paper Studio
- Karen Kennedy, GCA Member, and the moon will rise
- Marina Kiskovich & Mitzi Sampson, GCA Member, Ampersand M Studio
- Hilary Meehan, GCA Member, Mirthos Paper
- Melissa Mika, Page Fifty Five
- Karen Ritz, Karen Ritz Cards
- Lucia Saisse, GCA Member, Lucy Loves Paper
- Aarica Smith, GCA Member, Infectious Design Co.
- Kate Wooley, GCA Member, The Noble Paperie
“We are thrilled to have this talented group of designers step up and show that there are alternatives to outdated, ageist birthday cards. We can’t wait to see what clever and age-positive concepts they come up with,” enthused Janine Vanderburg, Changing the Narrative’s Director. Designs will be available for purchase from the designers in January 2023.
Changing the Narrative’s aim is to not only raise awareness and understanding of ageism, but to make a real-world difference. They aim to change the negative messages about aging that we hear in our workplaces, in our doctors’ offices, and in our everyday lives. Go to their website at https://changingthenarrativeco.org/anti-ageist-birthday-cards/ to learn more about the campaign and their work or head to their blog post to learn more about the campaign: https://changingthenarrativeco.org/2022/11/20/2023-age-positive-cards/